Tuesday, November 21, 2023
AUBURN, Ind. – The Auburn Board of Works and Public Safety renewed its contract with Republic Services of Indiana for the collection and disposal of recyclables and solid waste for the City of Auburn during Tuesday’s (November 21, 2023) meeting.
The two-year contract renewal features an option for the city’s administration to enter into an additional two-year contract for 2026 and 2027.
During Tuesday’s meeting Mayor Mike Ley complimented the quality of service Republic Services brings to the city.
“The service is impeccable in my view,” he said.
Republic Services has been serving the community for 10 years and continues to provide exceptional service to the city’s residents, including Christmas tree pickup and spring curbside event for the pickup of bulk waste.
Residents will see a rate increase between 4% and 5% over the four year period with residents paying $15.24 for solid waste and recyclables collection in 2024. The consecutive years will see prices at $15.89 in 2025, $16.58 in 2026 and $17.29 in 2027.
New to the contract is a limit on the number of bulky waste items to be collected during the spring curbside event. Residents will be limited to six bulky waste items during the cleanup.
Acceptable materials include:
- Bag small bulk items to prevent wind-blown debris that would create an unsightly neighborhood.
- Wrap broken mirrors or glass in cardboard, taped shut and labeled “GLASS.”
- Mattresses must be contained in a bag or fully wrapped
- Box springs must be contained in a bag or fully wrapped
- Large bulk items: furniture, non-freon appliances, washers, dryers and stoves.
- Construction debris: small amounts bundled securely no more than 4-foot lengths and no more than 40 pounds. No nails or screws may be visible. Carpet and padding rolled and tied in no more than 4-foot lengths and no more than 40 pounds. Empty latex paint cans with lids removed and an absorbent (kitty litter) added to dry out and remaining paint residue.
The date of the 2024 spring cleanup event has yet to be determined.